Monday, December 3, 2012

Re-Emerging My Pre-Baby Self


Its been 17 months post-baby and I'm still trying to get it together and shed pounds and go back to my pre-baby self. Unlike celebrities that can afford personal chefs, personal trainers and round-the-clock babysitters, for 'normal' moms it can take a little longer to bounce back to our days before baby. I'm not complaining though! I only blame myself in the weight department- with my compacted schedule I tend to eat out more than making healthier lunch and dinner meal choices.

I have been working on a makeover (for myself!) one step at a time. It has taken longer than I anticipated because of lack of time and money constraints but I am not getting discouraged because this is a work in progress. It doesn't matter how long it takes me as long as I get there. So far, I've been doing okay but there have been some setbacks here and there.

I am making it a goal to update/change/lose the following things in order to get one step closer to my new and improved self.

1. Hair Makeover

I'm growing out my hair and in the process of waiting for it to grow I have what looks like a thick medium-length bob- and I HATE it! I dyed my hair lighter a few months ago in hopes of trying something fresh but now my roots have grown in and I need to find a more manageable style to work with. I read somewhere that you should wait to let it grow the length you want AND THEN cut it but that person probably doesn't have my thick hair. I need to get frequent trims to take the weight off otherwise it gets really puffy. I will be visiting LUSH while I do some Christmas shopping in a week and will try out Rehab to see if it will work well with my hair.

2. Exercise My Mind & Body

I was doing pretty well with a workout routine but as you know, life happens and things get in the way of a planned schedule. I have been going to the gym with the husband on a regular basis but he recently started working overnights and so I too am getting used to this new schedule. He really motivates me to be consistent and it's nice to workout together... but I think I will need to start doing Insanity workouts by myself again if I can manage to put Dean to sleep before 9pm. I'm usually exhausted by that time but I really have gained quite a few pounds that I now need to shed. I have been feeling sluggish and my sweet tooth has gone wild.

As for exercising my mind... I really love mediation. Love it, but this too I seem to have trouble finding time for. It all comes down to being more consistent and finding a system that works for me. I will try to do this right before I go to bed. I downloaded some awesome guided meditation clips on my phone that are from meditainment.com. My gosh, I have tried other CDs but these take the cake. The speaker's voice is so soothing and the descriptions of the visualizations are amazing. I know I sound like a real nerd right now but seriously, don't knock it til you try it. They have a free trial download on their website that you should definitely check out if you are into that sort of thing. 

3. Maintain A Healthier Diet

Besides working out, I really, really, really need to pay attention what I put into my body. I need to pack my lunch for work everyday instead of eating out and I need to start cooking at home more. It starts today with dinner- I am going grocery shopping later and will be cooking at home instead of ordering out.

4. Update My Beauty Routine

My skin hasn't looked all the great for a while now. It could use some improvement and I know a lot of this has to do with my diet. However, I also think I need to revamp my beauty routine- especially the cleaning part (type of wash, moisturizing, spf, etc). I also want to invest in the Clarisonic since I have heard so many amazing things about it. I want to try it for myself and see what all the hype is about. In addition to this, I have been meaning to try out a BB cream for my face but haven't gotten around to it yet. I decided I am going to try the OG stuff and order it straight from Korea (as this is where it became popular and has probably been perfected after years of usage). I read somewhere in cyberspace that the US versions are just watered down tinted moisturizers with spf. The original stuff offers more coverage and might actually be the Jesus cream that Sonia mentions in one of her video blogs, haha. (BTW, I LOVE her blog and beauty YouTube videos, you should check it out if you haven't already!) She is a fellow mommy and she and her son are too cute. 

5. Update My Wardrobe

Okay, so this one is a bit embarrassing. I'm still working on this and there has been a setback with buying new clothing because pounds keep creeping up on me. I am quite shocked to say that I am still wearing much of my maternity wear (AHH! I know, don't judge). When I stocked up on maternity clothing, I bought tanks and dresses and other clothing that could easily transition into post-pregnancy but I never intended to wear it THIS long. Most of the clothing I bought consisted of leggings and tunics that are comfortable and easy to wear. The only problem is that I became lazy and haven't purchased much since. I need to pay more attention to rebuilding my wardrobe because all of the stuff I had pre-baby I either don't like anymore (too trendy, not in season) or was donated. I got rid of a lot of stuff in hopes of rebuilding my wardrobe but this has taken me longer than expected.

So there you have it, my personal goals for the next few months. There are other personal goals I am also working on but these are the ones that are easier to measure. I will do my best to give updates about my progress to hopefully inspire someone else to improve any goals in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment